Limited evidence of effectiveness or usefulness
Small Group Dinosaur is intended for children aged 3–12 with severe behavioural problems and disorders. This structured programme is designed to promote factors that protect children from behavioural problems and to address associated risk factors.
Topics include anger management and problem-solving skills, pro-social skills and developing emotional control.
Small Group Dinosaur forms part of the wider Incredible Years programme package. This therapeutic intervention is designed to be delivered to children in a group setting for the purposes of prevention and treatment of behavioural problems.
Please note that this a summary of the full evaluation, which is currently only available in Finnish.
- Bywater, T., Hutchings, J., Whitaker, C., Evans, C., Parry, L. (2011). The Incredible years therapeutic dinosaur programme to build social and emotional competence in Welsh primary schools: study protocol for a randomised controlled trial. Trials, 12, 39. Linkki julkaisuun Link to the reference
- Drugli, M. & Larsson, B. (2006). Children aged 4-8 years treated with parent training and child therapy because of conduct problems: generalization effects to day care and school settings. European Child & Adolescent Psychiatry 15, 392-399. Link to the reference
- Hutchings, J. (2004). The introduction of the Webster-Stratton Incredible Years Classroom Dinosaur School Programme in Gwynedd, North Wales: A pilot study. Educational & Child Psychology, 21, 4-15. Link to the reference
- Hutchings, J., Bywater, T., Gridley, N., Whitaker, C., Martin-Forbes, P & Gruffydd, S. (2011). The incredible years therapeutic social and emotional skills programme: A pilot study. School Psychology International, 33, 285-293. Link to the reference
- Larsson B, Fossum S, Clifford G, Drugli MB, Handegård BH & Morch W-T (2009). Treatment of Oppositional Defiant and Conduct Problems in Young Norwegian Children. Results of Randomized Controlled Trial. European Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 18, 42-52. Link to the reference
- Webster-Stratton, C., & Hammond M. (1997). Treating children with early-onset conduct problems: A comparison of child and parent training interventions. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology 65, 93-109. Link to the reference
- Webster-Stratton, C., Reid, J., Hammond, M (2004). Treating children with early-onset conduct problems: Intervention outcomes for parent, child, and teacher training. Journal of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 33, 105-24. Link to the reference
- Webster-Stratton, C., & Reid, J. (2003). Treating Conduct Problems and Strengthening Social and Emotional Competence in Young Children The Dina Dinosaur Treatment Program. Journal of Emotional and Behavioral Disorders 11, 130-143.